Thursday, August 19, 2004

Results day for A-levels

It was results day for A-levels today and I was in the unusual position of not being able to see the people whose results I really wanted to know as I am in Taunton now and they are in Bexley. All I know is that I am glad they did well. Most of them texted me today, so I know that they are going to be able to do what they want to do. I actually got double today, well partly last night because a mate at Bexley sent them to me, whenI got to peer at the Taunton results too, which was the first experience I have had of most of the pupils I will be teaching this year. The thing that winds me up is the annual bullshit of the news either whining about the results being too bad or, mostly, complaining that standards are falling because more people are getting better results. Can we ever win? Bastards! Isn't it time the wanker journalists got judged like we do? Would the government kindly leave education alone and stop playing with it? I would vote tomorrow for a government which left education alone for five years.

It seems to have become more and more the case that kids go into school to get their results with their friends and it's a big deal. I got mine by post and my Mum cycled round to the place where I was doing my work experience, reroofing a house in Urmston and nobody made a big deal about it. Is this all part of the same process as the one in the national news on a smaller scale, all part of the build them up and knock them down cycle? I certainly don't remember journalists coming to school to take pictures of the most successful pupils when I was there or seeing such pictures. Then again, I suppose we make it easier for the journalists by publicising the pupils to them.

...and finally, I have been listening to Alice in Hell by Annihilator, one of the CDs I bought with the very small amount I made by selling the vast majority of my two hundred slices of vinyl. Good old evil!

0 Comments:

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com