Wednesday, April 13, 2005

We love United, we do...

Well, respect to Billy for that post. Little did I know what I was going to unleash on the world. Proper (ie Manchester) United fans aren't all glory hunters. I am from Manchester and when I started supporting them City were arguably more successful. I'd love to know why glory hunting is regarded as such a big thing - I think that those of us who are prepared to commit ourselves get the best of it. These people who are always changing allegiances don't really have it in them. After Saturday there are times I wish I could stop supporting United but I can't lose the passion, be it for good or bad. Don't get me wrong, there are people who are more insane in their dedication to the cause then me but Saturday school just doesn't fit with going to Old Trafford any more regularly than once or twice a year. I have been lucky though. I have been to some great games, like the time United beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 in the longest extra-time ever. Or the time I saw Peter Schmeichel make a truly amazing save against Rapid Vienna in the Ernst Happfel Stadion. Or the time United beat Newcastle 2-0 at Old Trafford the season Kevin Keegan didn't love it as much as he'd hoped.

Billy's story about the Charlton lover reminded me of my old form master who was a raging Toon fan and in my first year at secondary school he gave us homework in proportion to the quality of the team's performance. This was 1983-4 and Newcastle got relegated. We were gutted!

0 Comments:

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com