Friday, April 01, 2005

School dinners, schooled inners

After Swiss posted on this topic, Witho and I recorded Jamie Oliver's School Dinners last night. I watched a bit of it and it looked really interesting for a number of reasons. I was one of the few people I know who liked school dinners. My friends all seemed to think they were 'processed plastic piss' (their words not mine)which made it hard for me to resist the urge to try to eat theirs too, when allowed. Two particular friends of mine, H and K, went over to having something from the chippy just outside school every day instead of having to put up with it. However that wasn't going to stop me. It led to a new form of entertainment over lunch time - any leftovers from H's lunch became the prize in a 'Chiprace' around the old form room. The other reason for my interest in this programme is that it centres around a part of London which was very close to my last neck of the woods, even if it is just in the wrong borough to affect my old school directly. I was really interested to see that Jamie did not come across as the transparent Mockney he often does and indeed some of the impact of it came from the way he interacted with one of the dinner-ladies in this episode. Good luck to him - I just hope that people will learn to love school dinners as much as I did!

0 Comments:

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com