Monday, March 28, 2005

Science Fiction

I love all space-based science fiction but Star Wars was my first love, ever since that day in 1977 when my Dad took me to see the Star Wars IV: A New Hope. It was one of the first times I had ever been in a cinema and I loved it. I loved it so much that I was instantly hooked, like millions of others. I can still remember the smell of the bubblegum which Star Wars cards came with when I used to swap them with my friends in the playground of Flixton Infants School and can still fondly remember the number of games based on Star Wars figures that I used to play when I was growing up. I read the books too and waited desperately for the next film to come out. Time passed, I changed school and friends, Empire Strikes Back came and went, as did Return of the Jedi. Then a wait of fifteen years or so until the next one. I was never quite sure but I have believed for a long time that it was always the plan for George Lucas to make at least six films if not nine, though I can no longer remember why I believed that.

The Phantom Menace came out and everything felt so different. There wasn't the same sense of wonder - Star Wars had become a victim of its own success and the millions of copyists afterwards. Suddenly it seemed like the press were out to get Lucas - I wondered whether it was just that it wasn't new and there was that old British envy of success coming to the fore. Anyway, my friends and I went to see it, ironically in Taunton, where I now live, and everybody else seemed so cynical about it. Granted it wasn't as good as the first three, but I always argued that this would be far better paced as a trilogy than the first because they were sure that the second and third films would be made, which was not the case when the first film was made. Why am I saying this? Well, I have seen the trailers for the third one and I am hoping for a really good film. In fact I am going to make Witho watch Episodes I and II immediately....

0 Comments:

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com