Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sven Gordon Eriksson and the FA

Right, now I am really angry. I don’t have much time for journalists at the best of times but this is just ridiculous. I don’t know what the reasons are for Sven’s sacking after the World Cup, maybe he would have left anyway. It seems to me that this is largely a result of the Nowt, (Northern for nothing or worthless), or should that be NotW, arranging a sting operation specifically to stir up trouble with the England team before the World Cup. What is wrong with them? Are they secretly Scottish or something? How can we hope to get a good replacement when the pressure on the England manager is getting unmanageable? I don’t think he has done much wrong and I think that the Nowt has done a whole lot wrong, yet it is allowed to carry on damaging our chances of success. What can I say? I hate the way that football news is dominated by lies, gossip and hearsay and the fact that the redtops are basically allowed to get away with it. People of England, unite! Stand up to the false prophets! Vote with your feet like I have done and stop buying this rubbish!

I also hate the way that the game seems to take greater pleasure in stamping on enjoyment and truth than crushing corruption. Mike Newell, Ian Holloway and Sven all seem to have commented on the bung culture they see in the game yet they are the ones being requested to visit the FA compliance department. However much I wanted it to happen, Arjen Robben should not have got a second yellow card a few weeks ago for jumping into the crowd – he had just scored at a crucial time, why should he be denied? Equally I feel that the rumpus over Gary Neville’s celebrations the other day is a joke. We are not living in the 80s any more – enjoying a goal, even provocatively, will not cause a riot, not even between United and Liverpool, the fiercest of rivals. Have they not learned from the Cantona incident at Crystal Palace? When did the FA last try to do anything about fans hurling abuse at players, except in a racist context? This is so wrong! People go to matches to shout and scream at the players, and that is as it should be, but I think it is disgraceful to expect the players to not get caught up in the moment which they are responsible for. For me there is a danger that the FA will be going down the same road as the over-officious UEFA, inspired by the most odious man in football, Sepp Blatter.

0 Comments:

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com