Sunday, October 17, 2004

T shirts

I have offended one of my best friends. At J's wedding this weekend I revealed that I had thrown out a lot of my ancient heavy metal t-shirts. My friend K went into a state of (mock?) mortification, the like of which I have never seen. He refused to talk to me at least for a short while, possibly until the prospect of the further consumption of porcine products wore him down, and fair play to him, who could resist chopped, sliced, grilled, minced or otherwise damaged and then heated bits of pigs. Is this really such a big deal? I have after all not given up on all manner of evil music, I just don't wear the t-shirts any more. Don't know what else to say - have I really sold out? I think I know myself better than that - gnothi seauton, one of the Greek proverbs of the theatre at least appears to be one of the standards by which I live my life. Anyway I didn't get it - that's what I meant to say.

Incidentally, has anyone got any idea how to get Greek letters into a post or comment box? I have tried copying and pasting from word in both normal mode and compose and got nothing.

Oh and I have been listening to evil this weekend, mostly to protect my ears from the insane drivellings of the cretins travelling around us, especially after the incident with the hen party and the dildo rings *shudders*. I listened to (I have remembered that I did say I was going to post this stuff, even if it took me until after I had published once to remember it) Somewhere in Time by Iron Maiden which has a fantastic bit of soloing on The Loneliness of the Long-distance Runner. It took me back so much that the hairs on my arms stood up, even though I have now been listening to that album at regular intervals for 18 years. I know it's not the one 'people' think is Maiden's best but it's really special to me. I have got this theory that the first bit of music you listen to by a particular artist tends to be the one you come back to again and again. Certainly this is true of Metallica (Master of Puppets) too. Not the most perfectly formed theory in the history of the world but I was happy with it. So there!

0 Comments:

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com