Wednesday, June 30, 2004

The Riverboat trip


St Paul's from the river Posted by Hello
On Monday I went on one of the many school based jollies we get round this time of year. It was a trip up the Thames with the year elevens, including the form I have had for three years and whom I like a lot. They all get dressed up in DJs and nice dresses (for boys and girls respectively - to expect them to wear both would be a bit much) and often come to it in stretch limos. I felt a bit of a pang this year as I saw my form for the last time, more or less, and let them know that I am leaving. Some were surprised, some weren't.
They weren't allowed to drink alcohol and a good half the time was spent resisting requests for us to sneak them some. The kids didn't seem to be half as well-oiled as they have been in previous years, which was good because it was rather more civilised and easy to organise than before. There was a buffet and a DJ, one of the year 12s who I know, and a really rather rotund couple who were in charge of taking pictures for them to buy. I am a big man but these two would have needed a bed made of girders to support them.
The boat went down to the Dome and then back up to Battersea Power Station and round to Greenwich again. We got back to the Cutty Sark at 1130 and that was that. I didn't have anything like this for my end of year 11. I wish I had!

0 Comments:

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com