Monday, June 28, 2004

The Jersey Cricket tour

Every year for these last four years I have been on the staff cricket tour to Jersey. This was probably the last time as I am leaving. So what happened? After three weeks, in which I have marked 230 exams and written 230 reports as well as teaching two weeks’ lessons, I went with some staff members, ex- staff members and a few partners to Jersey. It is a nice way to relax after exams and start the wind down to the end of term. We flew out on Friday night and had a Chinese.

On Saturday we did some tax free shopping before the game against a school there. We played really poorly and made 66 after they made 200. Nobody batted well for us and my 4 not out was surprisingly high up the scoresheet. I wished I had not been sent in at number 9. The schoolboys behaved a little arrogantly in the short time I was at the crease, whinging that our number 10 was slow to the wicket and wondering aloud whether he had had to get off his oxygen machine. They also did not provide tea, which was the real disappointment, as we all know the only reason for the Jersey trip is to eat well. This was especially disappointing as that is a speciality of the place where we normally play. We all went out to a very nice restaurant, LaRoque afterwards and did indeed eat well.

On Sunday we had a shorter game between the youngs and the olds. I played for the youngs, getting a duck and bowling five overs of relatively inexpensive donkey drops. I did wonder what contribution I had made to the tour just after my stumps had been messed up. Never mind, we won and it looks like I will have a higher average than my mate R, who is a far more illustrious cricketer than I. Then we headed off to a nice lunch and the traditional Sunday of putting and crazy golf. I didn’t putt but won both rounds of the youngs’ crazy golf, so that made me feel a bit better. Then we flew home, tired and, as I discovered later , sunburnt but generally pleased with ourselves. How was your weekend?

0 Comments:

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com